Control of Personal Data
A Data Controlling Committee, chaired by Chief Executive Officer/Human Resource Management (1), in this Department is responsible for assessing, monitoring and reviewing personal data protection measures to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the Ordinance).
The Housing Authority / Housing Department (HA / HD) is committed to ensuring that all personal data are handled in accordance with the provisions of the Ordinance. The HA / HD undertakes to:
- collect adequate, but not excessive, personal data by lawful and fair means only for lawful purposes related to the Department's functions or activities;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data collected or retained are accurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are to be used;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data are not kept longer than is necessary for the purposes for which they are to be used;
- use the personal data collected only for purposes or directly related purposes for which the data were to be used at the time of collection, unless the individual concerned has given express consent for a change of use or such use is permitted by law;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data are protected against unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that a person can be informed of the kinds of personal data that the Department holds and the purposes for which the data are to be used; and
- permit persons to access and correct personal data of which they are the data subjects and process any such access/correction requests in a manner permitted or required by law.
Types of Personal Data Held
The HD holds four broad categories of personal data, namely the HD's customer data, business associate data, HA-related data and employment-related personal data in discharge of its business and functions.
Collection of Personal Data when You Visit our Website
- The Hong Kong Housing Authority will record visits to this website without collecting any personal identifiable information of users. Such general statistics are collected for the compilation of statistical reports and the diagnosis of problems concerning computer systems to help us improve this website.
- Cookies are used to save user preferences on their computers. No personally identifiable information would be collected and saved. Users may opt for not accepting cookies by changing browser settings. Under such circumstances, user preferences could not be saved and user experience may be affected.
- When you visit this website, your internet protocol address will be identified and logged automatically in our server log files, along with the browser type and the pages that you viewed. Server logs are used to compile statistics on the usage levels of the website without collecting any personal identifiable information of users.
- For different purposes and at different times you may be invited to provide personal data to us through this website on a voluntary basis. Personal information may include name, e-mail address, telephone number, fax number and mailing address. We will specify the collection purpose and intended usage of your data when you are invited to provide such information and advise you how you may request access to or correction of the personal data provided.
- We use SSL protocol to encrypt data during network transmission to protect your personal data. All personal data you provide to us via this website are secured, and access to them is restricted to authorised personnel only.
- Search service on this website is provided by an independent contractor of the Government. We are advised by the independent contractor that it does not collect personal identifiable information while serving search results through this website. The independent contractor will share the anonymous data it collects through the search service with the Government for compiling traffic analysis on government websites. The Government will not match the data obtained from any such search activity with any personal data possibly held by the Government.
Data Access / Correction Requests
Requests for access to personal data held by the Department may be made by filling out a data access request form which can be obtained in the HA Library at the HA Headquarters, the Housing Information Centre at Sham Shui Po, or by letter addressing to:
Departmental Data Controlling Officer
Housing Authority Headquarters
33 Fat Kwong Street
Ho Man Tin
Requests for correction of personal data held by the Department may be made by letter addressing to our Departmental Data Controlling Officer.
A charge will be made in accordance with Section 28 of the Ordinance for supplying a copy of the personal data in compliance with a data access request. For reference purpose, photocopy black and white on A3 or A4 size paper with or without enlarging, the current charge is HK$1.10 (A4 size) or HK$1.20 (A3 size) per photocopy unless otherwise stated. Additional fee HK$43.50 may be levied on a document if searching and retrieval efforts are involved. (Note : the above charge is subject to revision from time to time.) If the requestor prefers the requested data to be sent by registered mail, the registered mail fee will also be charged.
The following are maintained to ensure compliance with the Ordinance:
- A Central Register of requests made under the Ordinance
- A Data Protection Log Book, as provided for in Section 27 of the Ordinance
- Departmental Guidelines on Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, which is a set of administrative guidelines on requirements for compliance with the Ordinance for use by all staff who have responsibility for the management of personal data systems and dealing with requests for access to or correction of personal data; and
- A Data Access Request Form for access to personal data held by the Department.