Testing and Certification Services was earmarked in the Chief Executive’s Policy Address in October 2009 as one of the six pillar industries for propelling Hong Kong towards a knowledge-based economy. Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification (HKCTC) was appointed in September 2009 to formulate market-oriented development plan for testing and certification industry. Hong Kong Housing Authority (HA) has spearheaded the development and implementation of Product Certification for building and construction materials in its construction projects since 2010.
On 13 October 2010, HA organized a seminar cum workshop, with guest speakers from the Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS), the Hong Kong Institution of Certified Auditors, Fugro Certification Services Limited and the Civil Engineering and Development Department, attracted over 300 participants, including industry practitioners and HA staff. The seminar served to share with the construction industry its experience in product certification for selected building products, collect views on wider application of the new initiative to other products used in HA projects.
In a seminar organized by HKCTC and HKAS held on 13 November 2015, HA shared the experience of implementing product certification in construction projects and the challenges encountered. Further to implementation of product certification in seven major building materials in 2010/2011 in HA projects, three other building materials were added in 2013.
Click the following links for the relevant proceedings and presentation materials:
- Opening Address (PDF format)
- HKAS Accreditation of Certifying Bodies (PDF format)
- Overview of Implementation of Product Certification in HKHA Projects (PDF format)
- Preparation of Product Conformity Certification (PDF format)
- Experience Sharing of Process of Product Certification (PDF format)
- Certification of Permanent Prestressed Ground Anchors and Reinforced Fill Products (PDF format)
- Photo Gallery (PDF format)
- Building Products requiring Product Certification (PDF format)
- Manufacturers or suppliers which have obtained Certificate of Conformity (PDF format)