Header Menu
Skip to main content
Navigation Menu
Sub Navigation Menu Estate Locator
Input search character
Main Content
Welfare Lettings

We regularly provide the Social Welfare Department (SWD) with an updated list of vacant non-domestic premises in public housing estates which may be available for welfare lettings to non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

List of Vacant Premises in Public Housing Estates Available for Welfare Lettings (PDF format)

Application Procedure

If you are interested in applying for any premises, please submit in writing, together with proof of the charitable status of your agency and details of the proposed welfare services, to the Housing Department (HD) (Senior Housing Manager / Non-domestic (Headquarters) at Wing A, Level 3, HKHA Customer Service Centre, No. 3 Wang Tau Hom South Road, Kowloon; Fax: 2794 5005).

Documents Required for HD's Processing
  1. Registration document under the Companies Ordinance or Societies Ordinance;
  2. Memorandum / Article of Association;
  3. Letter of Exemption issued by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance; and
  4. Details of the proposed welfare services, including both English and Chinese service names of the proposed welfare service, nature, scope and target of services, manpower deployment, funding arrangement, etc, to facilitate the HD to seek comments and recommendations from Government departments concerned.

Note: If the NGO already has a welfare tenancy with the HD under the same name, documents (1), (2) & (3) in above are not required.

Enquiries and Site Viewing

If you have any enquiries on the leasing procedures, please contact the following offices in the HD:

District Subject Officer Contact Tel. No.
Kowloon, Sai Kung & Tseung Kwan O, Kwai Tsing, Tsuen Wan, Tuen Mun   Ms CHAN Suk-mei
Mr CHAN Chi-keung
2794 5361
2794 5358
Hong Kong Island, Islands, Shatin, Tai Po, Sheung Shui, Fanling, Tin Shui Wai, Yuen Long, Ma On Shan   Mr LEUNG Wing-fai
Mr WAN Siu-kei
  2794 5371
2794 5360

For site viewing, please contact the relevant local staff as shown on the list.

Important Points to Note

The premises are not reserved exclusively for welfare lettings. The HD will try other means of letting at the same time, such as commercial leasing of the vacant premises. Please check with the HD before submitting an application. HD will process all formal written applications submitted on or before the deadline of the application.


Consultation with local residents, the Estate Management Advisory Committee and the Owners Corporation, etc, on the proposed welfare use may be required. Likewise, consent by the Independent Checking Unit for change of use may be required.


For housing courts under the Home Ownership Scheme, and estates under the Tenant Purchase Scheme/Buy or Rent Scheme and estates on lease grant, consent by Director of Lands for change of land use for the proposed welfare services may be required.


The SWD will be consulted on the applications from the social welfare point of view for HD's consideration. For services not under the purview of the SWD, the HD will seek recommendations from the relevant Government departments and authorities.


The HD will charge full market rent for premises used for administration offices, practice areas, other non-direct welfare services, or commercial and retailing activities.


Concessionary rent will be offered to the successful applicants. The current rate is $55 per square metre per month exclusive of rates and Government rent (if any).


All welfare premises let at concessionary rent are to be let in the existing condition.

Considerations by SWD

The NGOs must be prepared to receive visits by the SWD staff to the premises from time to time.


For premises approved for running subvented welfare services, the SWD will reimburse the NGO with payment of rent and rates.


For premises used for running non-subvented welfare services, the NGO may apply to the SWD for reimbursement of rent and rates through the annual allocation exercise, but there is no guarantee that the application will be entertained in full or at all.


Except for rent and rates subsidy described above, no other additional recurrent subvention will be provided by SWD.


For enquiries, please contact the following officers in the SWD.

Service Subject Officer Contact Tel. No. 
Elderly Ms POON Hau-yuk 2892 5509
Family and Child Welfare Ms Avis KWAN 2892 5271
Rehabilitation and Medical Social Services Ms KWOK Yin-may, Frida 2892 5655
Youth Ms HUI Suet-ling 2892 5112
Corrections   Ms YU Chau-ping   2892 5111

Back to top

Footer Site Map