Hong Kong Housing Authority and Housing Department



Following the transfer of squatter control and clearance duties from the Housing Department (HD) to the Lands Department on 1 April 2006, the role of HD is confined to providing rehousing assistance to eligible clearees affected by government actions on land clearance for development or other purposes, and to victims of natural disasters and other emergency incidents.

For details on housing arrangement for the affected clearees, please go to Section A, Chapter 2 of Policies on Public Housing.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When the government demolishes my squatter structure, will I be rehoused to live in public rental housing (PRH) ?
People affected by clearance may be rehoused to PRH estates if they meet the following eligibility criteria:


2. Can squatters affected by clearance operations use Green Form to apply for subsidised home ownership schemes?

Affected persons meeting the criteria for PRH may apply for the purchase of flat under Home Ownership Scheme (HOS) or Secondary Market Scheme through Green Form Certificate in lieu of other rehousing options, provided that they meet the current eligibility for the purchase of the HOS flats under Home Ownership Scheme or the HOS secondary market and the HOS sale programme is available for application.
3. What are the rehousing arrangements for the victims of fire or natural disasters?
In the event of fire and natural disaster in squatter areas, transit centres will be arranged for those registered victims in need, pending eventual rehousing in accordance with the prevailing rehousing policy.

Squatter fire victims who are eligible for PRH or IH will be rehoused to public rental flats or IH in the New Territories.

Permitted occupiers of surveyed domestic squatters affected by landslips or natural disasters will normally be accorded local rehousing, with the proviso that these victims may be allocated housing units in the extended urban area (which includes Tung Chung, Shatin, Ma On Shan, Tseung Kwan O, Tsuen Wan, Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi) if no urban units are available.

4. Will squatters affected by clearance operations who are registered for PRH be granted priority for allocation of PRH?
Affected persons who fulfilled the eligibility for rehousing to PRH or IH, if they have already registered for PRH and their PRH application is expected to reach the allocation stage within 12 months, advance action will be taken to handle their PRH application under the Anticipatory Housing Scheme.  
5. Will HD render assistance to the squatters affected by clearance who failed the Comprehensive Means Test?
Families failing the CMT are ineligible for PRH or IH. Those having a temporary need for housing will be offered IH but their stay there will be restricted to one year, during which they are required to pay licence fee at market level. 

6.  Can occupants of unauthorized rooftop structures affected by the Urban Renewal Authority’s redevelopment projects be rehoused to public rental housing units of the Housing Authority?

In handling the applications for rehousing to Housing Authority’s public rental housing flats from unauthorized rooftop structure occupants affected by their redevelopment projects, Urban Renewal Authority (URA) is in general following the rehousing criteria of Buildings Department’s unauthorized rooftop structure clearances, please refer to Section A of Chapter 2, Policies on Public Housing in Housing Authority’s website.  In addition, URA also offers other rehousing and ex-gratia payment arrangements for consideration by the eligible occupants. Please refer to URA’s website for details.