Hong Kong Housing Authority and Housing Department

Persons with Disabilities

Persons with Disabilities
Persons with Disabilities

To cater for the needs of the disabled, we have made special arrangements in flat allocation and the provision of facilities.


In allocating public housing flats, the Housing Department (HD) will take into consideration the need of persons with disabilities (PWDs) or chronic diseases and provide them with appropriate assistance.  For the convenience of wheelchair-bound persons, HD will offer them flats on floors accessible by lifts.  If the applicant or his/her family member is non-temporarily wheelchair-bound, to cater for the special housing needs, we will let him/her view the flat prior to formal offer such that the occupational therapist or physiotherapist concerned can make suggestions on flat modification if required.  If the occupational therapist / physiotherapist considers that the flat is suitable for allocation to the wheelchair-bound person and flat modification can be made as required, we will issue an offer letter to invite the applicant to complete the intake formalities.  On the other hand, if the flat is considered not suitable for the wheelchair-bound person, the said arrangement will not be counted as a housing offer, and we will arrange another flat for inspection by the applicant in due course.

Adaption Works

If a flat has to be converted to cater for the needs of PWDs, HD will undertake the full cost incurred.  Conversion works include, where practicable, widening of doorway with provision of ramp, conversion of bath tub into shower area, installation of grab rails in the bathroom and raising the floor slab of the balcony to make it level with that of the living room, etc.


In cases where conversion to an existing flat is not feasible due to physical constraints, a disabled person may apply for transfer to a flat in the same or another estate together with his/her family.  HD will consider such applications on individual merits and make appropriate arrangements.

50% Concessionary Discount on Monthly and Hourly Parking Fees

Private car or motor cycle drivers may enjoy a 50% concessionary discount on monthly parking fee of the Hong Kong Housing Authority (HA)'s carparks if they are living or working in the public housing estate where the carpark located, and are holding an approval letter from the Commissioner for Transport or a valid Disabled Person’s Parking Permit issued by the Transport Department. Besides, private car or motor cycle drivers holding the approval letter or the Disabled Person’s Parking Permit may also enjoy a 50% concessionary discount on hourly parking fees in HA’s carparks.

Flashing-light Doorbells

When necessary, hearing-impaired persons may apply to HD for the free installation of a flashing-light doorbell for their ease of answering the door.

Service Dog

Keeping of dogs inside leased premises without the prior written consent of the HA is prohibited.  In general, HA will not approve application for dog keeping, except under special situation (e.g. keeping guide dogs for tenants with visual and audio disabilities or keeping of companion dogs for tenants in need of accompany of a dog for mental support, with provision of medical support from medical practitioners) on conditional approval.

In-flat Repair Works

In case of need to carry out repairs to in-flat items that should be handled by tenants on their own, households having family members with disabilities may approach HD for the arrangement of such repair works at their own cost.

Estate Improvement Works

Public housing estates are designed to provide, as far as possible, a barrier-free living environment to facilitate the PWDs in accessing the services and facilities that the estates provide.  HD will continue to carry out various improvement works to enhance the barrier free access provisions in existing estates.

Assistance Provided in Case of Emergency

Households having family members with disabilities, such as hearing impaired, visually impaired, mobility handicapped (wheelchair-bound), tetraplegia, requiring to undergo renal dialysis at home, having chronic diseases in need of special care, may opt for the special notification service provided by HD.  Tenants are required to provide their emergency telephone contacts and other relevant information to the staff of the estate offices and authorize them to notify the contact person(s) in case of suspension of fresh water/electricity supply and lift service and in emergency (e.g. fire); and to transfer such information to other departments such as the Police, Fire Services Department etc. in case of emergency for contact purpose.


Households having family members with disabilities or chronic diseases may approach the Social Welfare Department direct or through the respective estate offices for other support services such as home help, rehabilitation and counselling services.